Monday 30 March 2015

Idea 3



So for this idea I was inspired by the short we used in the visual analysis, The Dog who was a Cat inside, what I was thinking is that you could do this with a robot and a man.



And then the narrative could revolve around this unlikely friendship.

However I felt that this idea, although relates to the essay and the visual analysis and I could make it link to the written text piece by having the characters be blase. The man could be addicted to creating little wooden sculptures and this over stimulates him till he needs to do it all the time and the robot could have to have an intervention for him before he stops reacting to everything around him and wasting his life and then they could skip off into a forest in the sunset with all the whittled forest creatures dancing in the sunlight behind them as they leave.

But on second thoughts, I think this idea is too similar to the cat and the dog, which is why i didn't spend a lot of time illustrating it because I knew it's not unique enough. So I thought of way to develop the idea further, by having just the robot character, but instead of having an inner personality he could be made of wood and every now and again in the narrative you could be able to see the inner workings all the mechanical details. But at the same time you could have a craftsman as his maker and he whittles the other creatures too but the robot one is the only one that comes alive and saves him, and this magical technologically advanced character could make his life all worth while. I think if I was to do this it would be a long story, and I'd rather work out the details and do a good story board rather than animation.

I started off developing this idea by drawing sketches of robots.







I'm not sure if any of these will stick as they all have flaws, but I think they will merge well into one good design if I choose all the best qualities.

I said in Idea 1 I would experiment with the parallax background and a walk cycle, merging this character with the passage of time really emphasises the points of hybridity in the essay. But because I already know how to do this, I think it would be a waste of my time, when the idea I've had for a narrative is quite long, I think I'd rather push that further. If i was to do this test, I know what I'd say, I wouldn't be happy with the background, because there wouldn't be enough detail in it, and I think it would take more time than its worth to develop this. However if I was to, I already know how to develop it further and push more out the idea to make it a longer a worthy animation. I would make the character interact with the surroundings as it gradually becomes more futuristic, representing how technology has developed more and more people(studios) have embraced this and have created animations with hybrid techniques.


I also thought about merging this idea with idea 2 because I could do a test with a live action background to get to know the character better before doing the storyboard. I started this idea because I was really excited for it, I took photo's of my terrarium in RAW and was going to do a 2D animation on top with the robot watering the cactus, but when i got the imagery into the scene, I just didn't know where to start.




I don't want to force it. I'm just not in the mood, so I'm going to go with my gut instinct and follow the narrative. I think that's my strongest skill is coming up with stories, and I really enjoy storyboarding and I'm not feeling inspired and I think that this module is all about how we interpret concepts, so the concept of the animation is okay with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment