Thursday 7 January 2016

Digital Matte Painting Tutorial.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/tutorials/photoshop/epic-fantasy-digital-matte-painting/#16

Before commencing my own digital matte painting's I thought it best to do a tutorial as it's a completely different set of skills i'm used to using. The tutorial was supposed to take me 30hours but I spent around 50 on it and didn't end up finishing it to the same standard as what the tutorial does, as I didn't want to reproduce the exact same thing they had, but rather utilise the skills it taught me to my own work, so once I'd noted all the skills I applied them to my own work.



1. Block out the areas, just like painting!




So I used the clone tool on the back mountain which was a ball ache. Then I spent ages doing the mid ground one, and I just couldn't get happy with it.


Then the foreground mountain, oh my god I had so much fun playing with brushes and textures, I know it doesn't look realistic but I am so excited to apply the knowledge I learnt to concept art. I managed to make a brush that looks just like the texture that Elle Michalka uses, (the woman that does the art direction for Steven Universe), so exciting. I'm going to have the best concept art ever no textures no realism it'll be fantastic.
http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=12fb19fdc11752885cb585f83&id=495800b8ff



Right so the sky, I am so bloody proud of this sky, honestly it took me hours. So it's five different cloud pictures with like different opacity levels. And some of them are upside down, and then I added in extra foggyness with a cloudy brush and later on yellowy/orange bits so it looks like the sun is behind. My first attempt I've accidently deleted the screenshots, but I'm glad because it was horrendous.




The other front cliff was easier because there was less tonal difference, looking back I think the fron bit on the right would be better if instead of pulling greens from the grass I'd of pulled them from the mountains.









































You can see the final image looks a lot different because the tutorial shows you how to change contrast and colour levels of other photo's to use as reference to apply over the top of your basic drawing to texture it and make it look more realistic. I was devastated that I covered up the mountains I'd drawn, moron I should of read ahead first instead of being too keen to do it. I didn't do the final few steps because at this point I read ahead and it was more cloning and tools it had already taught me. Although it did teach me how to add noise to an image to a reference photo to make it look more like the plate so that was super useful to take note for my own digital work. Other things noteable I took from this was canvas size, erm composition, it was so so helpful, this basically gave me the confidence to go into my own work, as a complete novice at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment