Wednesday 9 December 2015

CG Society Portfolio's

So I follow this organisation called CGsociety on facebook and it's like a deviantart for artist's who create computer generated imagery and there's some absolutely fantastic work on there. Admittedly a lot of it is concept artwork and background for animations/video games, but I think the skills are transferable, and what I'm look to do isn't photorealism, because although that would stun the audience I just think it'd be a bit boring and I think I'd have more fun if it was a juxtaposition. Also there would less pressure on it, I'm just going to give it my best shot. So I hand pick a few of my favourites over the past months just to share what I've been looking at.

1. Sebastien Hue


Concept Sketch.
This reminds me of the chapel and church and the discussion of the battle of the light and dark, I love it. Really subtle in detail.

Thumbnail Greyscale.

Now his work mainly focus' on spaceships etc, but I picked out these two because they are in black and white and stood out to me, I guess I never really thought about doing my work in black and white, but I don't think I will because of how much I love the colours of the old saturated films, but it's an interesting thought provoke reaction I had to his work. 


Finally from Sebastian is this really cool breakdown of his concept art, which makes it look super easy, I don't think it is though.




Mech City - Concept Art - From Another Age

To see Sebastien's work check out his portfolio at: http://shue13.cgsociety.org/


2. Yousaf

City 14
This could be a matte painting.


This is pretty bloody cool, the fact that there's a figure in the scene makes the architecture a lot more imposing as it provides scale. It's great. One thing I really like about the CG society's website is the fact like the National Gallery of London you can zoom in really close to see the brushstrokes.
Close up's from this image:



Final image from Yousaf:

A legend and his dog.

To view more of Yousaf's work go to: http://yousaf.cgsociety.org/

3. Alejandro Olmedo

The Conquerors. 


Lost in the Highlands 2014.


The Valley, Artist's first ever landscape painting in photoshop.

http://alejandroolmedo.cgsociety.org/

4. Andy Walsh

The Watchman, made in 3Dmaxs textured then painted over in Photoshop.

Infected.

Retro Sci-Fi

http://stayinwonderland.cgsociety.org/

NB: Another technique I could use is 3D modelled buildings, but I have two issues with this, which is why I've chosen not to 1. 3D modelling means the matte painting is no longer flat so is it still a matte painting, take for example this video:



Because of the water simulation the entire 3D environment has to be built. However how fantastic is the breakdown, so swanky.

Secondly I'm doing some modelling for PPP project so I'm gonna learn the skills anyways, yeah practice makes you better but I don't want focus on it because I don't think I want to do it in industry. I don't really know what I want to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment