Wednesday 28 October 2015

Essay Plan

So I have a more official Essay Plan at this stage:

1. History of Matte Painting -

2. Case Studies - Interviews with Matte Painters

3. Technicals of actual Painting and why this is important to Matte Painting, the argument of artistry in a Matte Painter.

4. Theory in the success of a Matte Painting, how you don't want to notice them they should be incognito, because of immersion, the uncanny blah.

5. Write up of Practical investigation how each of these chapters were important in practical.



So Chapter 1 History of Matte Painting, I think it will be quite difficult to be critical rather than re churning what I've read, also there's a lot in the history, as you've seen from the Norman Dawn blog post, I want this to be between 1,000 to 1,500 words, but I need to make sure I include all the important bits. Even if it's not in complete detail I need to be critical and make good decisions about what is the most important parts to this essay the practical work and why it's important to the history of Matte Painting.

So I've broken this chapter up:
1. defining movie matte painting and why it originated (so cost and artistic reasons)
2. a bit of history on Norman Dawn, the estate agent thing is the most important, maybe the patenting thing, maybe not. The fact that it was inspired by theater and also used in still photography. a little about california missions and the churches, because it's not only for making post apocalyptic and dystopian worlds, you make ordinary things look ordinary and that's magic too. Making the derilict whole again.
3. Film traditional techniques, the fact that negative on negative to get two strips of film to composite together, laborious
4. rise of digital, programs like after effects composite much faster than reprocessing film stock. Photoshop also digital painting, 3D CG techniques.

Should I put key Matte's through time? Maybe I'll just do this in a blog post, to show I've looked at all the different Matte Paintings rather than in my dissertation, I should probably ask at the next tutorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment